Subject: Re: #10336 Video screen grabs/capture
From: Louie Huang <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: March 2, 2015 at 6:52:19 PM CST
Cc: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hi John,

I saw your email on the LLTI listserv. I was helping another teacher with a similar issue recently and I thought I’d share what we came up with.

In our case, the easiest solution we found was simply pausing the video at the designated spot and taking a snapshot of the screen.

If you’re on a Mac, the easiest way is to press Command-Shift-3, this takes a screenshot and saves it automatically to the desktop. You can then open this in photoshop (or your favorite photo editor) to crop the picture, etc. You can find a full list of screenshot options here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

If you’re on a Windows machine, you can find instructions here:

  *   Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-7
  *   Windows 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-8

The above solutions use features native to the operating system so they don’t require any additional software and are very fast.

If you have the actual video file (and not just an online streaming video), you can also easily take screen captures using the open source (and by far the best) video player, VLC: http://www.wikihow.com/Screen-Capture-to-File-Using-VLC

Hope this helps!

Louie

Co-Founder
Swift Education Systems, Inc.<http://www.swifteducation.com/>
Developers of DiLL: a modern alternative to the traditional language lab
332 S Michigan Ave Suite 1032
Chicago, IL 60604
O: 312-257-3751
C: 847-644-9403