Greetings!

I hope you are all staying warm in the windy, snowy weather.

We have 2 events at DCAL next week:

What Is a Good Question?, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Questions are used ubiquitously in social life, and they are also common teaching and learning tools, but how often do we consider the nature of what makes a good question? How do we recognize good questions, ask them, and teach our students to do the same? What are good question-centered assignment designs for the writing and speaking classrooms? Drawing from a recent book by David A. Westbrook, "Navigators of the Contemporary: Why Ethnography Matters," which tackles the nature of "conversation as method" by focusing on dialogue as a vital way of knowing across the disciplines, this session will explore classical and contemporary uses of questions in teaching, research, and daily life. Sponsored by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=871112

Teaching Science Seminar, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Friday, February 13, 2015
How do you flip a class and to what extent does it help students learn better? Through the Gateway Initiative, Scott Pauls (Mathematics) redesigned Math 3 to accommodate both more and less advanced students. This past fall, he flipped the class, pairing textbook work with Khan Academy video instruction outside of class to free up class time to focus on areas where students needed the most attention. How did it go? The evidence gathered so far is promising. Come hear Scott talk about the experience.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=882314

In addition, we have a book discussion coming up later this month.  Tomorrow is the last day to get a copy of the book from DCAL when you register:
'Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning' book discussion, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 26, 2015
From the preface: “ Empirical research into how we learn and remember shows that much of what we take for gospel about how to learn turns out to be largely wasted effort.  Even college and medical students—whose main job is learning—rely on study techniques that are far from optimal.” Nancy Serrell and Prue Merton will lead a discussion on this book.

Register by February 6 for this discussion and DCAL will provide you with a copy of the book: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=882161

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST