From: Harold Hendricks <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: IALLT 50th Anniversary, FLEAT VI & Elections
Date: January 28, 2015 at 2:30:05 PM CST

Dear IALLT members, both past and present, and LLTI followers:

I sincerely hope that the year has commenced well for you and those you
serve. For IALLT, the year 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of our
organization and it promises to build our international relationships with
other language technologists through the FLEAT VI conference to be held in
August at Harvard University.

In 1965, after holding both informal caucuses and formal sessions at the
conventions of the Modern Language Association and the Department of
Audiovisual Instruction of the National Education Association (NEA), a group
of language lab directors from across the country felt the need for their own
organization. In 1965 The National Association of Language Laboratory
Directors (NALLD) was founded and NALLD began publishing a newsletter the
following year. The first NALLD conference was held in December, 1965 in
Chicago. Through the years the name of our organization has changed from
NALLD, to IALL, to IALLT, and the nature of our work has evolved from basic
audio and film technologies to a dizzying array of tools for learning and
communication, but the fundamental nature of our organization remains: to
support and inform those whose jobs are to implement technology in all facets
of language learning and teaching.

One of the best ways to support and inform is through our biennial
conference. This year our IALLT 15 conference is designated as FLEAT VI,
since we are joined by our colleagues from the Japan Association for Language
Education Technology (LET), continuing a series of joint conferences that
began in 1981. The theme for FLEAT VI is “Identities, Communities, and
Technologies in Global Environments.” The response for the call for
abstracts was larger than expected, so there will be many sessions to choose
from. Please join us at Harvard University, August 11-15, for workshops,
presentations, networking, and friendship. Watch the website for further
information: http://fleat6.fas.harvard.edu

During the conference and throughout the year, we plan to make available
historical items highlighting NALLD/IALL/IALLT accomplishments, honor
pioneering members, and take a look at past technologies. We have formed a
50th anniversary committee, chaired by one of our dynamic former presidents,
LeeAnn Stone. If you have items of interest or would like to assist her in
her efforts to celebrate this milestone, please contact here at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Within a few days you should be notified that the IALLT Election Committee
is seeking nominations for IALLT Board positions. Please consider
volunteering or let us know of someone that you believe would make a good
IALLT officer. Watch for a message from Ute Lahaie, our Past-President, and
help us continue the tradition of excellent leadership.

Speaking of service, IALLT is still in need of volunteers for several
positions: Webinar Coordinator, Membership Coordinator, Member Database
Manager, Commercial Liaison, Journal editors and reviewers, and several
affiliate representative positions. (See www.
iallt.org/mass_contact/from_the_iallt_president<http://iallt.org/mass_contact/from_the_iallt_president> for details.) Please
consider volunteering.

I am pleased to be affiliated with such a great organization and I greatly
appreciate all the work that our Board and Council members perform. There
are many unsung heroes in our midst. Help us continue the 50 year tradition
of service to our colleagues, faculty, students, and all others who have
looked to us for guidance and innovation in language technology.

Sincerely,
Harold H. Hendricks
President,
International Association for Language Learning Technology

Supervisor, Humanities Learning Resources, Brigham Young University