In Ireland we have *fulachta fiadh, *(purposely excavated troughs in watery
areas which is heated with stones from a nearby fire). They range in date
from the Neolithic to the Med, but most are Bronze Age in date. Later
sources state that they are associated with cooking deer and have also
recorded a tradition of using the fat as some kind of moisturiser. However,
all are different and some researchers are looking into whether some of the
features were used to create fat for storage or for candles and soap, by
boiling bones. This is similar to a process used in the Near East with
gazelle bones and by the Blackfoot tribe in Canada who used similar
features to create fat and then mix it with dried buffalo and berries to
create a high-fat winter snack.

--
Nikolah Gilligan BA Hons. MSc.

http://www.ipean.ie/profile_Nikolah.html