From: Cooking technologies of ancient Mediterranean cultures. [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Lisa French [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: (no subject)

Fun but it is Ottoman/modern.

Years ago when we were working in Turkey with all the archaeobotanists we started tracing when the South American foods arrived there - from Spain via North Africa.  The earliest we found was 1581 (Busbeq's trip to Amasia).  I also heard from Colin Leakey (who among other things advised Heinz about beans) that beans probably reached the west across Asia.

I would love to hear what the latest data is on all this.

I tried with Sibby Postgate to reconstruct the Bronze Age diet in a diagram based on an advert for olive oil margarine lauding the Mediterranean diet. We got it as accurate as we could in 2002.  I can send it to anyone who would like it as a pdf attachmet..

Lisa French

.  .