We also have similar 'baking trays' in EB III Amuq, with very burnished interiors and a rough exterior/bottom with holes poked partway through.  See example in Braidwood 1937 (fig. 308:16).  We get them coming out of LB mudbricks at Atchana, probably made close to Tayinat across the road as we have no EB III levels that we're aware of.  We've never had a complete one so no idea what the whole thing looked like.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Lindy Crewe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear all,

We have similar from Early-Middle BA Cyprus. Very coarse, low fired, flat base with walls up to 30mm high. Slipped on the interior but rough on the exterior. The holes (c. 1mm diameter) are perforated from the base to c. 2mm from the top. The most comprehensive discussion is in Frankel and Webb 1996

Best,

Lindy

Dr Lindy Crewe
Lecturer in Archaeology
University of Manchester
Mansfield Cooper Building
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL

From: "Julie A. Hruby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, 1 August 2014 02:28
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: On griddles, continued

With all apologies for lumping replies to several different emails, for efficiency’s sake:
  1. Theoretically, they may have been used to separate substances, but if so, it was likely done in the presence of heat; the photo I posted wasn’t a particularly good one for demonstrating this, but more often than not, they do have clear evidence of having been used over a fire. The one example that I know of that was residue tested supposedly had oil and grain residues, but I don’t believe the scientific evidence for that was published.
  2. The holes don’t go through, so they probably weren’t used as sieves, though there are contemporaneous perforated implements that make good candidates for that function.
  3. Yes, one of my students (a joint studio art ceramics and art history major) and I replicated this shape. We were able to make relatively good flatbread, and after giving a brief talk at the AIA meetings in January, we got rather a lot of press. The press was somewhat more variable in quality than the bread was.
  4. Thanks, all, for the many comparanda; they’re much appreciated. Does anyone know of examples from the Early Iron Age outside of Greece? I’ve heard that there might be a similar Phoenician shape but haven’t seen published examples.
Best,
Julie

--
Julie Hruby
Assistant Professor of Classics

To unsubscribe from the ANCIENT-FOOD-TECH list, click the following link:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?TICKET=NzM1NDc2IG1hcmEuaG9yb3dpdHpAR01BSUwuQ09NIEFOQ0lFTlQtRk9PRC1URUNIIFg%2BVftXygTp&c=SIGNOFF

--
Dr. Mara T. Horowitz
Adjunct Professor