Hello Upper Valley Birders,

I'm sending out a Missing Bird Alert on behalf of the Vermont Institute of Natural Science, located in Quechee VT.  On Thursday 6/5/14 one of our glove trained Education raptors flew off during a public program and we have not been successful in finding her since.  This bird is a female Red-tailed Hawk, who has a permanently injured left wing.  However, she is still capable of short distance flights, but her injured wing is easily recognizable for she often keeps it drooped.  This hawk was last seen heading towards the Quechee Gorge.  It is highly possible that she is still in the vicinity of Quechee.  She will be easily recognized by her drooping left wing and she will also have leather anklets and jesses (leather straps) hanging from each leg.

If anyone sees this bird, PLEASE call VINS Wild Bird Hospital immediately.  If possible, please remain at the area where you see the bird until a staff member can join you.  We do not want to lose visual of her.
When calling, please ask to speak to Sara Eisenhauer or Calah Beckwith.  If you are unable to reach someone, please leave a detailed message of the location that you see the bird.

Our contact number is:  (802) 359-5001 x216

Many thanks to everyone!!!

Sara Eisenhauer
VINS Wildlife Services Manager