Hello!

We have a New Faculty Luncheon on recommendation letters scheduled for next week, and a Course Design Series scheduled for the month of June:

New Faculty Luncheon, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Writing Recommendation Letters: Need some guidance about writing those recommendation letters students ask for?  Come hear helpful tips from faculty and staff who read and write these letters routinely.  Bring your questions, learn from your colleagues, and have lunch on DCAL!
Register for this luncheon: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=620541

Course Design SeriesThis series is designed to introduce faculty to a course design process that can be used in preparing a new course or revising an existing course.  It consists of four 2-hour-sessions that can be tailored to accommodate participant needs. In addition, the series will use a Canvas site to facilitate giving/receiving feedback on your work with your peers (yes, there will be some homework). The first session lays the groundwork, so if you can only attend two or three sessions, the first session should be one of those.  We will address educational technologies to meet your course goals when appropriate. Co-facilitated by Prudence Merton (DCAL) and Adrienne Gauthier (Ed Tech).
All sessions will be held at DCAL on the dates listed below from noon – 2:00pm, lunch will be provided.

Wednesday, June 11: Session I - Beginning with the end in mind- What do you want your students to know at the end of your course and what do you want them to be able to do with that knowledge? This session introduces the integrated course design process and gets participants immediately engaged with the first step of writing student-centered learning outcomes. For any of the following sessions to be helpful to you, this one must be attended.  Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=668111

Monday, June 23: Session II. Assessment and feedback that demonstrate student learning-How will you know they know? Working on feedback and assessment early in the course development process makes it easier to develop effective teaching and learning activities. In this session, we will discuss principles of good feedback and assessment, the setting of criteria and standards, and various assessment techniques that generate feedback for students on their learning, as well as for you on teaching and course design. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=668112

Wednesday or Thursday June 25 or 26 (this date will be determined by participants) Session III:  Designing significant learning experiences-What in-class and out-of-class activities lead to student achievement of learning objectives? How will you conduct class so students have opportunities to practice thinking and performing in ways you value? We will discuss the differences between passive and active learning, and ways to assist students in regulating their own learning. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=668114

Monday, June 30: Session IV. Putting it all together-Assessing your course design and writing the syllabus.  How will you communicate your course to students? We will check alignment of learning outcomes, assessment and learning activities and assembling these pieces into a coherent syllabus. Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=668115

Have a great weekend!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>