Greetings!

Please join us at DCAL for one or more of our upcoming workshops:

How Students (and Their Professors) Respond to Arguments and Counterarguments in Their Writing and Speaking, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, May 14, 2014
We often ask our students to consider multiple perspectives and argument positions when they write and speak, and we look for how this careful thinking improves their work. But there are other effects of this type of thinking. Many of these effects are quite powerful--and unexpected. In this interactive session, Josh Compton will share some ways that inoculation theory--a theory of resistance to influence--clarifies how and why students and their professors respond to arguments and counterarguments. We will consider how this common approach to the canon of invention might be changing or reinforcing existing attitudes toward the issues students are writing and speaking about, and we'll uncover some surprising effects on emotions and word-of-mouth communication.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=520951

Teaching with Information Technology (TWIT), 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, May 15, 2014
Michael Evans (Neukom Fellow, Film & Media Studies, & Sociology) will present the use of badges in his “Science and Religion in American Public Life” course (SP14).​ Doug Moody (Institute for Writing and Rhetoric) will share how Twitter can enable interactivity while students are watching movies in class.  Alfia Rakovia (Dept. of Russian) will showcase VoiceThread, which allows students to narrate poems and fairytales in Russian and get audio feedback from the professor. Lastly, the Instructional Designers will give an update on the Canvas transition.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=622662

New Faculty Luncheon, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Writing recommendation letters: Need some guidance about writing those recommendation letters students ask for?  Come hear helpful tips from faculty and staff who read and write these letters routinely.  Bring your questions, learn from your colleagues, and have lunch on DCAL!
Register for this luncheon: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=620541

Cheers!
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST