Good morning!

Many people have asked who is leading the sessions listed in the previous upcoming events email.  I致e updated the descriptions below:

Difficult Conversations: A Guide to Mastering the Talks We Dread, 12:00pm - 2:00pm, Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Difficult conversations can be part of all of our work both inside and outside of the classroom. During this session we will be exploring how to develop effective oral communication skills when in challenging conversations with groups or individuals.  This will be and interactive experience, led by Gabrielle Lucke (Human Resources), that will provide you with a guide to achieving open and constructive outcomes in conversations.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=619690

Mindfulness for Self-Care and Enhanced Productivity in the Higher Education Setting, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, April 30, 2014
In this session, led by John Christopher (Geisel School of Medicine) we will explore how mindfulness principles can be applied to promote self-care and enhance productivity for students, faculty, and staff. A brief overview of mindfulness will be provided, as well as discussion of the role it can play in our physical and psychological well-being. We will also consider how mindfulness can help us cope with the deleterious effects that stress can have on memory, creativity, and productivity. This overview will be followed by an introduction to simple mindfulness practices that can be used in our teaching as well as in our personal lives.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=619622

Lunch is served at all midday events-please register so we have an accurate headcount!

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Time for midterm course assessment

If you are teaching this term, you most likely have given your students opportunities to assess their learning, but have you given them a chance to assess the course overall?  We suggest you offer a midterm course assessment now to see how things are going.  You can make an appointment at DCAL to plan an assessment or use some of the questions your students will be asked when the course is completed. See: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal/resources/evaluations.html

Have  great weekend!
elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST