From: Thomas Plagwitz <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: RE: #10210 Ambient-noise-blocking headsets?
Date: April 8, 2014 7:19:29 PM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hi Margo:

Most so-called "language lab" headphones are sturdy, heavy  and have ear cups , which all helps with sound insulation.

More helpful still may be the "sidetone" feature of the digital audio lab software that feeds your own voice, from a directional microphone back, into your headphone speakers.

No doubt our interpreting teacher would still prefer interpreter booths.  However, while I don't have any hard data on the acoustic attributes, we are just ordering a 2nd batch of Sanako SLH-07.

Other digital audio lab vendors offer similar headphones (I know SANS does: http://thomasplagwitz.com/2013/10/28/a-few-thoughts-on-headphones-for-the-language-lab/).

The price seems worth the time one can save troubleshooting lesser options.

Good luck,
thomas
Dr. Thomas Plagwitz |Director, Language Resource Center
UNC Charlotte | Dept. of Languages and Culture Studies
9201 University City Blvd. | Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: 704-687-8762 | Fax: 704-687-3496
http://plagwitz.org | http://lrc.uncc.edu
If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any  disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone at 704-687-8762. Thank you