Greetings!

Welcome to spring term and a great line up of workshops at DCAL.  I’ve attached the new spring DCALendar to this message, and here are a few events coming up in the next 2 weeks:

Library Research in First-Year Writing: Outcomes and Expectations, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, March 27, 2014
What do we want students to be able to do as a result of our library research sessions in first-year writing? This workshop, facilitated by librarians Laura Braunstein and Jill Baron, will offer examples of successful library-faculty collaborations to foster a conversation among faculty and librarians about common outcomes and expectations for library research in first-year writing courses. In this Institute for Writing and Rhetoric session, we will share and discuss effective library research assignments from Writing 2/3, Writing 5, and First-year Seminars.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=619579

Talking about Language and Culture (Monthly DIscussion Group), 2:30pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, March 27, 2014
Come share ideas about teaching languages and culture, get to know each other better, and create a community of teachers who care about language.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=619617

Responding to Crisis: Sexual Assault, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, April 1, 2014
This session is designed to assist you when students, staff or faculty colleagues disclose that they have been a victim of sexual violence. We'll discuss basic crisis intervention skills and provide a complete overview of resources on campus. This session will provide useful information if you have never experienced this situation and those who are looking for a refresher on these skills.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=619620

First-year Writing and Canvas: New Strategies, New Possibilities, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, April 3, 2014
The College has made the decision to move from the Blackboard Learning Management System to the Canvas system (see http://sites.dartmouth.edu/canvas/). Among the new features Canvas enables is the option to connect courses’ learning outcomes to specific activities and assignments. Several Institute for Writing and Rhetoric faculty are among the early adopters for Canvas. This session will offer examples from these faculty and from members of the Instructional Design team (Educational Technologies) of the kinds of uses of Canvas we have begun to adopt in first-year writing courses, and will show faculty the learning outcomes function. The session will conclude with brainstorming about how this function might support both the use and the revision of our course outcomes.
Register for this workshop : http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=520954

Lunch is provided at all midday events, please register to be sure to get a spot!

Have a great week-
Elaine