From:  Peter Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Sun, 2 Mar 2014 23:01:21 +0200
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: Exit portal trigger

Hi John

The solution I have is a close match to what you describe. I did simplify my
description of the portal records (there are fields for days in port, days
at sea, days at anchorage etc), but everything works and the script quickly
recalcs all the dates and sorts the ports into the correct order. So itıs
looking really neat.

When users leave the layout the script is run again, making sure voyage
start and end date are correct ( as these dates are used elsewhere in the
system). When rows are deleted, the delete button also runs the
recalculation script.

All I was wondering is ­ can I avoid a dedicated button on the layout to run
the recalculation script? I thought I could trigger the script on each
portal row exit, or on exiting the portal, but this does not seem possible.

I avoid the on-mod trigger because it requires a value list.

I could use the on object exit  trigger on each of the relevant fields, but
would then have to be able to return to the portal row and to the next field
­ that looked a bit complicated.

I think the answer is a button on the layout, users will just have to live
with that.

Thanks

Peter