Good Morning!

Here is the line up for workshops at DCAL next week:

Intro to Flipping for the Languages: Ideas, information, strategies and tools to flip the language classroom, 2:30pm - 4:00pm, Monday, February 3, 2014
Join us for a hands-on workshop with Nikki Boots (Educational Technologies) about flipping the classroom in the languages! We will explore instructional design principles, design a detailed lesson plan with learning objectives, and then work with the LectureTools software to present the material. Please bring your laptop and a PowerPoint presentation so we can maximize the hands-on component of the workshop.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=539990

Fostering Dialogue Across Difference in the Classroom, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Kwame Anthony Appiah will lead a discussion on fostering dialogue across difference in our classrooms extending into students' "real" lives, building on themes of relationship and deep connection he raised in his books, The Honor Code and Cosmopolitanism.  Kwame Anthony Appiah is a British-born Ghanaian-American philosopher, cultural theorist, and novelist who has taught at Yale, Cornell, Duke, and Harvard universities; currently, he is professor of philosophy and law at NYU.
PLEASE NOTE: this session will be held in the Fahey first floor lounge
Register for this discussion : http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=535530

Advising the whole student: Motivational interviewing and how to get the most out your advising meetings, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Thursday, February 6, 2014
Would you like to move the conversations with your advisees beyond the discussion of courses for the coming term?  Would you like to get more out of your advising meetings and move beyond the transactional feeling you sometimes see in your interactions with students?  Come join us as Caitlin Barthelmes, AOD Education Programs Coordinator, Dartmouth College Student Health Promotion & Wellness gives a taste of Motivational Interviewing (MI) and how it might change the way we talk to students.  If you are looking to deepen your discussions with students, this interactive session will help faculty become familiar with the fundamental spirit and principles of MI and provides space provides to consider how MI can be applied in your own advising. Sponsored by DCAL and Undergraduate Advising and Research (UGAR).
Register for this workshop: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=538378

Dartmouth Latino Oral History Project, 2:00pm - 3:00pm, Thursday, February 6, 2014
This session highlights the Dartmouth Latino Oral History Project (DLOHP), a collaborative oral history project between Lourdes Gutierrez (Anthropology), Susan Simon (Jones Media Center), and Nikki Boots (Educational Technologies). In this session, we explain the genesis of this project, beginning with paper assignments, moving to a Blackboard wiki, and transitioning project to the most current iteration in Wordpress. The presentation will focus on the collaborative process of setting up the oral history project, including recruiting local participants, preparing students for qualitative research, and incorporating multimedia and Wordpress to create a holistic view of Latinas in the Upper Valley.
Register for this presentation: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=567343

Lunch is provided at all midday events.

We hope to see you soon at DCAL!

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal>