Good morning-

Here are a few of the events happening at DCAL in the next few weeks:

Status and Stereotypes, 12:00pm - 1:30pm, Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Group projects develop skills and experience that serve our students at Dartmouth and well beyond.  Moreover, positive group experiences contribute to student learning, retention and overall college success.  But what happens when students work in groups?  This workshop, led by Melissa Herman (IWR), will look at research on how student groups function, common pitfalls, and techniques for teachers to effect successful group learning.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=537853

How Students (and Their Professors) Respond to Arguments and Counterarguments in Their Writing and Speaking, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, January 22, 2014
We often ask our students to consider multiple perspectives and argument positions when they write and speak, and we look for how this careful thinking improves their work. But there are other effects of this type of thinking. Many of these effects are quite powerful--and unexpected.
In this interactive session, Josh Compton will share some ways that inoculation theory--a theory of resistance to influence--clarifies how and why students and their professors respond to arguments and counterarguments. We will consider how this common approach to the canon of invention might be changing or reinforcing existing attitudes toward the issues students are writing and speaking about, and we'll uncover some surprising effects on emotions and word-of-mouth communication.
Register for this session: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=520951

Intergroup Dialogue as Vigorous and Positive Action, 9:00am - 11:00am, Monday, January 27, 2014
Join us for a morning seminar (breakfast provided) with Dr. Kristie A. Ford, Associate Professor of Sociology, Director of Intercultural Studies, and the Director of the Intergroup Relations Program at Skidmore College. Dr. Ford will share research findings that evidence Intergroup Dialogue as a unique and transformative educational method that engages students to explore issues of identity, diversity, and inequity while building skills for and commit to social responsibility and action. Dr. Ford received her B.A. in sociology from Amherst College and her M.A. and Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Her research and teaching interests include: race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, and social justice education. PLEASE NOTE: this breakfast will be held in the Fahey Lounge.
Register for this breakfast discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=538157

Faculty Learning Community on Grading, 12:30pm - 2:00pm, Wednesday, January 29, 2014
In response to the perennial conversation on campus regarding grade inflation, DCAL is offering a venue for faculty to explore different viewpoints and philosophies of grading through a faculty learning community on grading, grade inflation, and grading's role in learning.  This learning community will meet every 3 weeks throughout the term. Participants will choose discussion topics and readings.
Register for this event: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=537855

Talking about Language and Culture-Monthly Discussion Group, 2:30pm - 4:00pm, Thursday, January 30, 2014
Come share ideas about teaching languages and culture, get to know each other better, and create a community of teachers who care about language.
Register for this discussion: http://libcal.dartmouth.edu/event.php?id=538332

Lunch is provided at all midday events, please register so we can get an accurate headcount for food!

Have a great day-
Elaine

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST