FYI, for those interested: This message just in from the powers-that-be:

*********************

There were two fans on.  One is part of the heating unit and is was
bringing in air that was supposed to then get heated, but it was not.  The
second fan at the very top of the stairs that go outside to the basketball
court area was also running and this should only be running during hot
weather.  Between the two fans, we were putting a negative pressure on the
entire gym area and pulling cold air in from every crack and crevice.

I will get a sign down there that says to leave that extra fan off unless
the inside temperature get too hot in the summer time, but that switch has
been there since the building was built and I don’t recall it ever being on
during the winter.  If it has been on, it would explain why it never got
very warm even with the heating system operating correctly.