elaine

Register now for NERCOMP's upcoming workshop:
“Active Learning Strategies for Large Lecture Classes!
DATE: Monday, December 9, 2013
TIME: 9:00 - 3:15 (Coffee and Registration start at 8:00am)
PRICE: NERCOMP Members: $130, Non-Members: $260
Your fee includes continental breakfast and lunch.
Be sure to login to receive member prices.
LOCATION: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.

What is the first thing you think of when thinking about large lecture courses? A sea of lost faces? Students falling asleep, facebooking, texting or cheating on exams? Large lecture courses are sometimes treated as the neglected sibling or a "necessary evil" in higher education.

What if it were possible to make large lecture courses more engaging while maintaining a sustainable workload for faculty and staff members who run them? What lessons can we learn from MOOC's that might be applicable back at home on campus?

This session will feature faculty speakers who will share some techniques they have used in the large lecture setting along with the World Cafe method to generate dialog, discussion and new ideas about ways to improve student engagement. Participants should be prepared to explore and engage with the themes of the day in an active, welcoming, and supportive atmosphere.

For a full schedule and registration information, please go to:
http://nercomp.org/index.php?section=events&evtid=298

Elaine Livingston
Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
102 Baker-Berry Library
Hanover, NH  03755
p. 603-646-2655    f. 603-646-6906
e. [log in to unmask]
w. www.dartmouth.edu/~dcal

To unsubscribe from the DCAL-GROUP-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=DCAL-GROUP-LIST