From: "Cunningham, Keah M" <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: RE: #10097 Transcription Software Recommendations
Date: October 22, 2013 8:04:57 AM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Sharon,

We have been using the Infinity Transcription USB Foot Petal (http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/pedals.html) that has three pedals that can be configured to rewind, play, fast forward, skip back 5 seconds, etc.  The pedals are plug-and-play so there hasn’t been any driver issues.  We use them in conjunction with a free transcription software program called Express Scribe (http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/) that allows you to import audio files and then transcribe the recordings.  You can then save the transcription as a Word document.

We’ve had graduate students in French and Spanish check them out on a long-term basis, but I haven’t checked whether the software supports non-Latin alphabets or RTL.  The graduate students were impressed with how easy the two tools were to use (and how much time it saved them).

Best,

Keah

--

Keah Cunningham

Assistant Director | Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center