From: Erica <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: #10091.2 (!) Looking for an online video tool for students
Date: October 17, 2013 12:09:18 PM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Private YouTube Videos:  We are a google school, so all students have easy access to YouTube through their school accounts.  As such, our students are able to share private videos with each other (all parties need to have a google account to share and view private videos).  Even so, I don't consider use of the private setting to be the best option.

Privacy Training and FERPA Waivers:  The method I recommend is to have students sign a FERPA waiver giving permission for their class videos to be available on YouTube, and acknowledging that the videos may be shared beyond the class.  Students then have the choice to make their videos public or unlisted, and URLs are shared within the more secure environment of Moodle.  Students with heightened privacy concerns have the choice to opt out of YouTube postings and share video off-internet (via USB) directly with faculty or to set video to private and share only with faculty member.

I see this as a great opportunity to discuss privacy issues with students and to give them the intellectual and technical tools to manage the privacy of their digital lives.  And ultimately, isn't the point of FERPA to give students control of their information?  (Even if our institutions interpret the mandate of FERPA to be complete protection and withholding of all student information.)

Best, Erica
Erica Andree | Director | Center for Languages and International Collaboration
Pacific University | 2043 College Way | Forest Grove, OR 97116
p: 503-352-1607 | m: 503-970-1960 | e: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]