The bird was seen probing the edges of a puddle on a house's lawn that abutted NH Rt. 10 where it passes Pinnacle Rd.  opposite Post Pond. It seemed unperturbed by the traffic as well by my stopping to confirm what my disbelieving eyes told me I saw. An hour later, as my wife and I were returning along the same route, the bird was still there foraging. This time we stopped and took a couple of pictures. When my wife tried to get a closer shot by exiting the truck, the bird assumed an erect "cloaking" posture. Then, after a few moments, it took flight and headed for a tall grass wetland adjacent to the house. I will try and post the photos on my Flickr site.

Blake Allison

Lyme, NH 03768-3322