From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Richard S. Russell
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: How to combine a Find with a Browse window

On 2013 May 8, at 22:39, Nicholas Geti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I want to implement a menu that browses all records in a file using Previous and Next buttons but incorporates a Find button.

I got the Previous, Next buttons working correctly. They navigate through the browse one record at a time each of which is displayed in turn in the fields of the menu as I want. The file is sorted on Company name.

The object for company name is a popup showing all the names in the file. I can select one and have it displayed in the name field. However, this does not advance the record pointer nor do the fields update.

If I experiment with the Find command, I only get one record in the Browse which means I no longer get a display of all the records. The Previous, Next buttons have nothing to work on.

I want to be able to do a Find and have all records remain the Browse and the record pointer moved to the found record so that it can be displayed in the menu.

I hope I have explained this properly.

Nicholas Geti

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish here, Nicholas. The reason they're called "modes" (Browse mode, Find mode, Layout mode, and Preview mode) is because they're mutually exclusive. You can't be in 2 different modes at the same time.

At least not in the same window. You CAN use the "New Window" command (under the "Window" menu) to create a duplicate window that starts off showing exactly the same thing as the window you're looking at. So let's say you start in Browse mode looking at 250 records, and you're on Record #123. You can use "New Window" to get a 2nd, slightly overlapping window that's also in Browse mode looking at 250 records, with #123 being the current one. You can THEN go into Find mode in that 2nd window and find whatever you want and work with it to your heart's content. When you return to your 1st window (either by clicking on it or by closing the 2nd window), your original 250 records will still be there in Browse mode, with #123 in front. (Exception: If you deleted any of those 250 records while you were in the 2nd window, they will be gone from the 1st window when you return to it.)