From: Julia Stewart <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: #10018 URGENT need help
Date: April 30, 2013 12:28:49 PM EDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Hi Lisa,
Here's an idea for the 5th C of the Standards:
I find joint reading projects in Spanish quite successful where we read the same book apart and then discuss it together with people from that country whose life experiences are reflected in the text.
I just saw the Australian-German film "Lore" which was quite powerful about post war Germany from a child's perspective.  You could have students view the film and then have them meet with some Germans from your community who were children in Germany right after the war to hear their stories. I know many Germans have difficulty talking about the war but if you found one or two who were willing, it would be a life-changing experience for your students to hear first hand what it was like to survive after the war with the country in economic and political ruin. (The film only deals with the war itself indirectly.)

By having both groups view the film, you would lay the necessary groundwork so the exchange would not be superficial. In my experience this type of encounter is very significant for both groups and really creates a deeper understanding of the Other. That's what the 5th C (Communities) is supposed to accomplish.
Julia Aguilar Stewart, Ph.D.
Chair, Language Department
Eastern University
St. Davids, PA 19087