Thursday, my friend Wayne Benoit and I ran a route that included River Rd. from the Hanover line to Orford with a run up NH Rt. 10 to the Reed Marsh WMA before turning south down Rt. 10 for a stop at Lyme's Chaffee Wildlife Sanctuary. This is the fourth time we've covered this itinerary since Monday, April 1.

Robins and juncos were by far the most numerous species counted. Junco flocks ranged in size from around ten to the mid-20s with a total count in the mid-90s. Later I would count 20 +/- on Whipple Hill Rd. plus another 24 on the home property. Robin groups ranged from half a dozen individuals to a season high 65 for a single flock seen in a pasture on N. Thetford Rd.

Other highlights included the great egret at Orford's Reed Marsh WMA, the bufflehead pair at Post Pond, three green-winged teal in an ag pond on N. Thetford Rd., 28 ring-necked ducks at the Grant Brook outflow, 34 wood ducks also at Grant Brook, an American kestrel on River Rd. near N. Thetford Rd., a pair of wood ducks exploring a tree cavity near the Hanover/Lyme line, a season first chipping sparrow of the year near Edgell Covered Bridge on N. River Rd. and an immature bald eagle circling over the Chaffee Sanctuary.

Canada goose numbers are down considerably since last week as are mallards and common mergansers. Only three commons were seen today (Grant Brook) and maybe 15 Canada geese.

Blake Allison

Lyme, NH 03768-3322