From: "Cunningham, Keah M" <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: RE: #10006 Cheap remote Whiteboard solution
Date: April 11, 2013 10:28:27 AM CDT
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear John,

Here a couple of solutions I might propose:

1.       Use LiveMinutes (http://liveminutes.com) for web conferencing and electronic whiteboard functionality

a.       Free web conferencing software that can do video calling with up to 9 people.  It allows you to record the calls and lets participants connect using Skype if they prefer.  The software has a built-in white board and real-time document editing.  It also allows you to tie notes into Evernote, if you use that.  An added “cool” feature is that it automatically creates a minutes report of all the changes, annotations, chats, etc. at the end of the meeting that you can download as a PDF.

b.      Useful if you don’t need concurrent video displayed of more than 9 students at a time.  It’s free and cloud-based so there’s nothing to pay for or install.  The audio quality is equal to or better than Adobe Connect in my opinion.

2.       Use Skype Screen Sharing (http://bit.ly/RFhwZo) and desktop applications to simulate an electronic whiteboard

a.       Using Skype’s screen sharing capability, you could open up Word, Paint, PowerPoint or any other window or application to use as a whiteboard.  You can optionally choose to share your entire desktop as well.

b.      You will need to sign up for (and pay for) Skype Premium ($4.99/month for a 12 month subscription) if you want to do screen sharing with a group (i.e., more than a one-to-one conversation in Skype).  I will note that both group calling and screen sharing work better on Skype for Windows than Skype for Mac.  The features are just more robust on the Windows version (like resizing windows).

c.       To go a step further, you could purchase a pen tablet like the Wacom Bamboo (http://amzn.to/gg44XD) to use to better simulate writing on a whiteboard within your desktop applications.

3.       Use Skype to display a physical whiteboard

a.       If your students are familiar with Skype (and that’s what you want to use), you could sign up for Skype Premium to enable group calling and then set up another Skype account called “classCALL101whiteboard” or something similar with an HD widescreen webcam (http://amzn.to/ZPa374) focused on the whiteboard.

b.      You could then also connect with your normal Skype account for when you’re seated at your desk, lecturing or speaking to your students as you normally would.

Also, if you are using Skype and Microsoft Office 365 (and so are your students) you all can actually get 60 minutes of free calls to mobile and landlines free EVERY month: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12230/how-do-i-link-my-microsoft-office-365-account-with-my-skype-account.  Pretty great if you’re not already taking advantage of it and are an avid user of Skype and/or have family, friends or colleagues around the world.

Best,

Keah

Keah Cunningham

Assistant Director