*         Please share any information concerning agency communications with OSP.

Date: March 5, 2013

Dear Colleagues,
As you are aware, last Friday, March 1st, federal budget sequestration went into effect. This sequester requires automatic across the board cuts to all discretionary spending - both defense and non-defense. We have been assessing the impact these cuts might have on federally funded research. Some details of how these cuts will be implemented have started to come out, but many of the specifics remain unclear. The NSF, for example, has stated its intention to maintain spending levels on already awarded grants as much as possible, but will reduce the number of future awards.

As we begin to learn how federal funding agencies will implement the cuts, Dartmouth's goal is to maintain research programs and staffing levels to the greatest extent possible. In consultation with President Folt and the Deans, we have developed a plan to address potential reductions to research funding. As a first step, if it becomes necessary, I encourage faculty to re-budget to protect grant-funded students and staff. Additionally, I encourage you to work with your Department chairs and Deans to discuss how best to cover needs that might not be met through
re-budgeting. Faculty should ask grant managers and the Office of Sponsored Projects for assistance with re-budgeting if needed.

We will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves. The Office of Sponsored Projects will post links on its website to federal agency announcements. Several of these have already been posted. Dartmouth will continue to urge the members of our Congressional delegation to do all they can to protect investments in research funding and preserve access to post-secondary education by protecting federal student aid programs.

If you have specific concerns or questions please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Martin Wybourne
Interim Provost
Vice Provost for Research
Francis and Mildred Sears Professor of Physics

Jill Mortali
Director, Office of Sponsored Projects
Dartmouth College
11 Rope Ferry Road