Steve,
Focusing on the barcode-generation side of this: I'd encourage you to keep
the barcode technology simple (e.g. Code 39), which should allow you lots
of options for reading and writing labels.  Some getting-started info is at
places like:

http://www.barcodeisland.com/code39.phtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_39

Code 39 includes mainly numbers and capital letters, so it's best to stay
with barcoding just an ID; you can print whatever else you want on the
label in a normal font.

A nice thing about Code 39 is that there are free TrueType fonts available,
so you can put more of your $$ into the other aspects of the project. (I
use a font called free3of9.)

To print scannable codes  you just need a calc field that (for a numeric
ID) looks like:
"*" & YourNumericID & "*"

Note that if you are missing those asterisks, you will print something that
LOOKS like a barcode but isn't scannable. Test scan a small batch before
you print lots of labels.

Feel free to follow up with me offline if you have questions.

Regards,

Blake Downes