Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. from   [log in to unmask]

I join a ~two-hour-long weekly foreign language video chat that uses Google Plus Hangouts.  We used to use Skype, but the quantity of freezes, bad sound, and other problems encouraged us to switch.  Google Plus has been somewhat better, but we almost never have a week where someone doesn't have a problem connecting and participating, at least temporarily.  Sometimes, everyone has a problem.  There are generally four or five different people/locations connected in the chat.

In spite of the problems, we all enjoy the chat, and don't find the glitches sufficiently bothersome to give up.  However, trying to do technical support for a classroom with multiple connections simultaneously misbehaving would be overwhelming.  My experience with audio-only chat via Skype has been only slightly less glitch-filled.

For motivated individuals, it is certainly tolerable and often, very useful and entertaining.  For running a classroom activity, I suspect it would be hard to keep the flow going.  However, my experience is limited to distant communications over the Internet.  It might be that having all the computers on a local network would solve some or all of the problems.

Derek Roff