from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Please join us for the next IALLT webinar on Thursday February 14 at 2:30 pm ET/1:30 pm CT/12:30 pm MT/11:30 pm PT. Our presenter is Dr. Felix Kronenberg, and his presentation is titled "Language Center Design in 2013: Physical Spaces in a Digital Future." The full description is below. To register for the webinar, please visit the IALLT web site. Sign in and go to the "Webinars" page under the "Conferences" heading. If you have any problems registering, please feel free to contact me. Hope to see you next week!

The language center continues to undergo profound changes as digital technologies emerge and mature. While its predecessor, the language laboratory, had a clearly defined mission, the current language center is a multi-purpose space that manifests itself in very distinct ways in different institutions. Often it is not even a dedicated space anymore but part of other spaces on campus, such as the media commons, ITS, the library, or a learning and teaching center. Furthermore, because at least part of every language center is virtual rather than physical, it is increasingly more difficult to define what constitutes a language center. Do we need a physical space in these digital times? If we do, how can we make most effective use of that space?

In this presentation, I will showcase some common threads and current trends in designing or redesigning a language center. I will discuss physical attributes, such as wall spaces, furniture, lighting, and equipment, describe the planning and design process, and address the assessment of the needs of the center's patrons. Examples will come from a variety of sources, including recently designed or redesigned language centers, my own experiences designing two language centers and work as a consultant, participant feedback and input from the IALLT Language Center Design Workshops, the book project about "Language Learning Spaces" I am currently working on, and the IALLT book "Language Center Design."

Sarah Withee
Instructional Technologist
Colorado College
14 East Cache la Poudre