On 2013 Jan 15, at 3:06, Emma Glaisher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So what is the alternative? Sharing across the web? That's another whole new realm for me. There's really one person actually inputting data, and the other one accessing. Only me actually working on the structure, and I will do that evenings/weekends as I have a day job anyway.
>
> I know it's not a good way of working, but not sure what alternative as they can't just share across a network, being 50 miles apart.

Well, there may be better solutions out there, and I'm certainly not going to claim that the way I'd go about it is the pinnacle of efficiency and security, but here's what I'd do.

Let's say the person inputting data is Imogene Inputter, the person accessing it is Albert Accessor, and person doing the design and engineering is Emma Glaisher. That actually sorts itself out rather neatly. I'd have Emma set up a Dropbox account (or some similar cloud-based file-storage folder) and grant Albert (at least, and possibly Imogene as well) sharing privileges to it. I'd designate Albert as the person who should host the live file by day, since he's the one who's going to need to process mass amounts of data via Finds and Sorts and thus needs to be closest to where they live to maximize processing speed. I'd set up a firm protocol that each of the 3 parties — Albert, Imogene, and Emma — must e-mail the other 2 whenever he or she either relinquishes or assumes control of the live file. ("Sir, the bridge is yours." "I have the bridge.")

At the end of the business day (or business week, if it's that kind of business), Albert will verify that Imogene is done using the database, close it down (ideally by quitting out of FMP altogether, just to be sure), place a copy of the file in the Dropbox folder, and notify Imogene and Emma to that effect. Emma will, by night, copy the file onto her own system and notify Imogene and Albert to that effect. She will do whatever work she's able to get at during the agreed-upon free time, then reverse the process to get the updated file back to Albert, along with the appropriate notifications.

So how's Imogene supposed to do her inputting while Albert's got the live file and is using it as well? Instant Web Publishing (IWP, AKA Web Sharing), using FileMaker's dedicated TCP/IP port number 591. I'm not gonna con you into thinking that this will be a cakewalk to set up, but once you've got it up and running reliably, it should operate smoothly without further need for constant tweaking. Using IWP, Imogene wouldn't even need a copy of FileMaker Pro,* since she'd be accessing the database over the internet using her hardware, operating system, and web browser of choice.

For guidance on how to prepare the database for IWP, I refer you to the "IWP Guide" that may be found under "Product Documentation" under the "Help" menu. Or, if you prefer something written for normal human beings, there's the excellent FileMaker Pro 12: The Missing Manual by Susan Prosser and Stuart Gripman, beginning on Page 748 with the overview "Sharing over the Internet".

Good luck, Emma.

––––––
*It's this absence of a need for the end user to pay for a separate copy of FMP that has led some knowledgeable observers to speculate that FMI may revise its pricing structure for IWP-enabled copies of the program. But they haven't yet.

Richard S. Russell, a Bright (http://the-brights.net)
2642 Kendall Av. #2, Madison  WI  53705-3736
http://richardsrussell.livejournal.com/

The Internet is a well-heeled beast: it has many Achilles' heels.

— Peter G. Neumann, moderator of Computer Risks Forum