With apologies for short notice, I'm heeding the weather forecast, with a special concern for icy back roads tomorrow morning, and postponing the mid-winter eagle survey along the White River to Sunday morning.  In addition to an improved weather forecast with warmer temperatures, traffic should be lighter then as well.  Route 14 doesn't afford many choice pull-offs for parking and viewing, so having less traffic should be a distinct advantage.  Please note the revised times as well.

This Sunday, January 13, I'm looking for sharp eyes to help me find eagles on the White River. As part of Vermont's annual mid-winter eagle survey, coordinated statewide by Audubon Vermont, I'll be surveying the White River from Sharon to White River Junction. This route has had Bald Eagles in several years, and there is always the possibility of a wayward Golden Eagle. We'll drive the route at a leisurely pace, stopping frequently to scan the river, where we'll likely see at least some waterfowl, as well as other winter birds along the route. I expect the survey to take 2-2.5 hours. We'll stop at the Wilder Dam afterwards, where we'll be almost sure to find a Bald Eagle or two, although someone else is conducting the "official" survey there.

For anyone wishing to join me, we'll have two meeting/carpooling spots. One will be at the Ledyard Bridge park-and-ride, where we'll meet at 8:30 am. The second will be at the Sharon park-and-ride, where we'll convene at 9:00 am. For those meeting us in Sharon, I won't be returning there, so someone in addition to me would need to drive.

Although the weather forecast calls for warming temperatures, please dress warmly and wear winter boots. Bring binoculars and a spotting scope if you have them. We'll be in and out of vehicles frequently, and walking short distances, but this is primarily a roadside survey.

I'll hope to see some of you on Sunday.  Call me between 7:30-8:15 am at 802-922-8495 if you have doubts or questions about whether the trip is a go.

Chris
--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies