from [log in to unmask]

Add me to the list of folks interested in flipping the L2 classroom. I've
just had a paper accepted to *Language Learning & Technology *about online
strategy instruction to support ESL vocabulary learning at tertiary level.
It was a feasibility study of a course I developed to teach composition
students an integrated form of dictionary skills and language awareness.
The course was based in Moodle and featured multimedia tutorials combining
short videos (most 3 minutes or less) interspersed with a variety of
practice activities. Because of logistics, I wasn't able to look at how the
online learning could feed into classroom activities and vice versa, but
that remains an objective.

I agree that a series of video lectures probably won't match up with the
goals of a communication-oriented language course. The more important point
is that online materials could be used for aspects of L2 learning that
often get bumped from the syllabus due to limited class time or other
factors, and so flipping the classroom might represent a framework for
researching complementary forms of instruction in which CALL and classroom
teachers play to each other's strengths.

If the Google Hangout happens, I'd love to take part.

--
Jim Ranalli
Postdoctoral Research Associate