Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV - LLTI Archives - LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

(my apologies - I had not included the URL mentioned in the last message - Otmar)

from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>

The reading that I have done on "flipping the classroom" still puts a central focus on presenting information via lectures, but now the lectures are on video.  The term gags me as much as the implementation.  A very reliable way to make class-long live lectures more enervating and disempowering is to turn them into long video lectures.  And then ask students to watch them twice or more.  This is enslaving the students, rather than freeing them.  Back in the 1920s, major educational studies concluded that the lecture was not a very effective way of presenting information.  These studies got lots of attention and discussion, and then the profession went back to relying on lecturing for the next eighty plus years, and counting.

Thankfully, language classes escaped from the lecture model decades ago (until students advance to literature classes).  All the major language textbooks that I am aware of already advocate dedicating the maximum amount of time in the classroom to student-centred activities, emphasizing speaking.  So I am curious how others see the "flipped" term applying to language teaching.

I thought the article that Clayton linked below to be very interesting.  Check it out, if you haven't already read it.

Derek

Derek Roff

from  Clayton B Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Not to say that flipped instruction is bad or wrong, but it must be done for the right reasons.

Here is an article about one instructors experience with flipping to give some counterpoint.

To sum it up, it's about personalization. Kill the textbook, free the student.