Not to say that flipped instruction is bad or wrong, but it must be done for the right reasons.

Here is an article about one instructors experience with flipping to give some counterpoint.
http://plpnetwork.com/2012/10/08/flip-love-affair/

To sum it up, it's about personalization. Kill the textbook, free the student.