from [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

We will be purchasing a new machine for processing HD video. We're
replacing a 2007 MacPro (Dual Intel, 2.6GHz, 4GB ram) - editing video is a
slow process 'round these parts. We currently use FCE4 to do our editing,
along with an external 3TB Hitachi G-Drive as our scratch space/raw video
repository. It's full, and we have network backup for anything we seriously
need to keep.

Our cameras are Canon Vixias, an HF M52 and an HF S20.

This has the potential to be a get-what-you-ask for purchase. I'm thinking
a powerful Mac that we can use for another 5 years as we have this one, and
FCP. FCP may be a bit overkill for our editing needs, but iMovie is not
sufficient. And I want something we can use forever, since we won't be able
to afford a replacement, or perhaps even any upgrades, for many years. This
new machine will be dedicated to video editing, and the current video
editing machine is still perfectly good for lots of other stuff.

Any recommendations for hardware (both the machine and any external drives)
and editing software?

--
Thank you,
Charity Anne Caldwell