Hey everyone,

Late this morning I was biking on E Wheelock St. to search for migrants. Early this morning it was foggy here, but by 9:30 things were pretty clear. My intentions were to make it to Balch Hill and try to stumble upon a similar migrant flock like I had a couple days ago, but I never made it to Balch Hill; I didn't have to go that far for migrants. Instead I ran into a pretty large flock near the intersection of E Wheelock St and Rip Rd (though not quite as large as the one I had a couple days ago).

For about the next two hours I combed through this flock. The flock first started out on the left side of E Wheelock but slowly made its way to Rip Rd, where it stayed the remainder of the time; by the time the flock dissipated, some of the birds had moved farther into the woods and were drinking from a seep near a forested pond. At first it seemed that Blackburnians were the dominant species, but once the flock hit Rip Rd the Black-throated Greens took over. By the time I left I had counted 10 species of warblers with my highlight being a Wilson's Warbler, as its been some time since I last saw one. In addition to the Wilson's, I also had some Chestnut-sideds and a Redstart, all three of which I did not have on Tuesday. At certain points some of the warblers (Black-throated Greens, Magnolias, and Chestnut-sideds esp.) were feeding no more than feet from me; pretty spectacular looks. There were probably some other species in the flock that I didn't see, and I had some possible Bay-breasteds, but too much action to look in one place too long :-)

Below is a list of the species I saw. Besides the warblers, the other migrants I had were Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos and Scarlet Tanagers.

Happy birding,
Kyle Kittelberger
Dartmouth
E Wheelock St / Rip Rd, Grafton, US-NH
Sep 13, 2012 10:30 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:    Birding near the intersection of E Wheelock and Rip Rd
20 species

Red-tailed Hawk  1    being mobbed by crows
Rock Pigeon  6
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  4
American Crow  6
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
American Robin  2
Black-and-white Warbler  1 or 2
Nashville Warbler  1
American Redstart  1    female bird
Magnolia Warbler  4
Blackburnian Warbler  10    fall/immature birds
Chestnut-sided Warbler  4    immature birds
Blackpoll Warbler  2    fall birds
Pine Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  20
Wilson's Warbler  1