Experienced FOYs here on Brigham Hill in Norwich (for birds I normally
have in my yard) the exact same days as other people have been reporting
them.  I wonder if they take cues from others of their species, or the same
trigger is going off in their brains telling them this is they day they
have to be here? Yesterday I noticed the Chestnut-Sided Warblers were back,
and 2 days ago I had to run to the store to get a new hummingbird feeder
when I saw a male Hummer checking out my old broken feeder still out from
last year.  Oh, and last night I heard what I think must have been an
ovenbird warming up his voice.( Not quite at full volume yet.)

  On a sad and shameful note, I was responsible for the death of a female
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker who smacked into my kitchen window so hard my dogs
went running to see what happened from way in the back yard. I tried to get
to it before my dogs did, but as I found brain (I think) matter on the
stairs under where she hit, I'm pretty sure it didn't matter that they got
to her first.  2 summers ago, we changed some many-paned old windows to big
plate glass ones, and now I wish I had kept the impossible to open and
clean windows. I certainly won't be changing any of the others or feeling
bad that they need cleaning anymore.

  Does anyone know if screens can save birds who run into a big window, or
do they fly into them anyway? I'd already taped anything I could find over
the biggest window that I'd seen feathers stuck to earlier this spring, but
for some reason didn't realize the kitchen window was going to be such a
problem since it's not as large.