from [log in to unmask]

I am assembling a resource consisting mainly of copyright-free access links to facsimiles of French medieval manuscripts. There are several of us from different institutions, each assembling a part. Lately, when I click on some of the resources provided by Gallica, I encounter an "Erreur 403" page. I know that this is an HTTP status code, which could mean a number of things concerning access. I tried using 4 different browsers. I have tried out the same links not linked to my web page, I have had friends outside my ISP try out both my page and the separate URLs. It is likely that I can access the majority of the facsimiles provided by Gallica (part of the BNF). If I return to the home-page search page, and try a key-word search, I find that Gallica shows a number of manuscripts considerably diminished from that of 10 days ago. I am not really big on raw code, but when I viiew the source code on these 403 pages, I see a surprising amount of Portuguese (for a French library). I have written the help desk address a few times, but have not received an answer. I have worked a long time with Gallica and the BNF (even put together a gateway resource page). Do you think they are just having a big problem with their system. Any suggestions?  I am supposed to speak about this project

Manuscripts of Medieval France with Vernacular Texts
http://www.utm.edu/staff/bobp/vlibrary/frmedmss.shtml

in Chicago this summer and I believe Libraria is going to begin a review soon.

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D.
Professor of French
University of Tennessee at Martin
Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
Director, Globe-gate Intercultural Web Project