from [log in to unmask]

As we begin the process of planning a redesign of our 15 year old facility
we've looked at the IALLT Design Manual but we have a few questions that we
thought this group may be able to help with. We'd appreciate any advice any
of you could offer:

- Have you had experience in using Smartboards in language teaching and how
do you find that faculty welcome them and use them?

- There has been some consideration to putting a video conferencing system
into this space. I know that some in this group use these systems for
distance learning between campuses, and perhaps for language learning as
well.  Do you think we should invest in such a high-end/proprietary system
for our redesigned center, given potential issues of compatibility, or
instead focus upon a flexible arrangement of good webcams and microphones,
while relying upon Skype?  For those of you who've been successfully using
the high end systems (eg, Cisco), can you give examples of how your faculty
or others are using them and with what sorts of partners (whether domestic
or abroad)?

- Lastly, we would like to make this "new" space as flexible as possible so
we are looking for movable, or collapsible furniture that can still be used
as desk space or computer tables when needed but can be out of the way as
needed as well. Any suggestions on makes and models?

Many Thanks for your help,
Carol
--------
Carol Smith