from [log in to unmask]

Subject: Use of social media (w. success data)?
Date: December 22, 2011 2:00:42 PM EST

There are two web-based tools that I use that are similar to social
networking sites, but may be allowed for use....

I use www.edmodo.com which is specifically for use in educational
settings.  It is easy to set up, easy to use, and my students enjoy it. It
looks and works similar to facebook.  I post announcements about their
assignments.  I also assign topics for them to discuss in Spanish through
their posts.  I can also post videos which I use to "pre-teach" topics and
they can post videos that they have made for assignments.  I also use
pbworks.com which is a wikispace. Students can do assignments on their own
pages and maintain a "porfolio" of their work. It reduces the amount of
copies I have to make and allows students to comment on each other's work.

The students use these to communicate with me outside of class -- and with
each other for help on assignments. They check edmodo for reminders about
assignments more often than they ever checked the traditional homework
hotline or the school's web homeowrk calendar.  It gives them a
non-threatening way to participate in a disucssion in the TL and as a
result, they have started to participate more in class.  It also allows me
to give assignments on topics that we may not have time to cover in class.

?Without language, one cannot talk to people and understand them; one
cannot share their hopes and aspirations, grasp their history, appreciate
their poetry, or savor their songs?     Nelson Mandela

Brandi K. Lasnick
Spanish teacher
Bolivar-Richburg MS / HS
100 School St.