Because you are still on 10.4.11, and I am using OS X Lion, it is no wonder there are 'differences' including what you have as 'Keyboard Navigation'.

Navigating to 'Desktops' is a new facility built-in to Lion. Your equivalent would probably be called 'Spaces'. If you have a crowded desktop, Spaces is/are the way to go and you can have 16 separate ones on a 13" laptop.

Regards from brianF