I, just for fun, changed mine to Command 8 (you just type Command 1 with command and 1 key) and used Inbox for the menu title (you might want to look at your titles in the sidebar to see just what it is actually named). It worked fine. Thinking back to long ago I seem to remember one needed to be careful about naming whatever was going to be the Inbox. By the way, if I look under Go To under the Mailbox popup (which you might want to do to see what is going on), I see that my Inbox has been assigned Command 8. If I erase that in System Preferences it changes back Command 1 automatically.

Ed