For a long time my Users/Applications has had only one entry - TypeIt4Me - and I've always wondered why others are not there.

However, in Lion, this is still the case - Users/Applications folder is still there and shown in the Finder sidebar, TypeIt4Me is the only Application therein, and TypeIt4Me IS shown in Launchpad.

My Launchpad uses five screens, all applications are shown alphabetically. Screen 1 is for the Apple Applications; the rest appear in Screens 2-5.

With a 27" screen, the icons are huge - 8 x 5 = 40 per page, but of course this number will appear on all screens.

Also, both ~/Library and ~/Users/me/Library are available although the former is protected.

Regards from brianF