On 2011 May 19, at 6:52, Bruce Button wrote:

Thank you, Tim, James and Chris, for your suggestions on solving this problem. In the end it was reimporting the data to a clone that solved the problem. Although rebuilding the file didn't reveal any problems it seems that some corruption must have crept in.

And thanks to YOU, Bruce, for letting us know how it turned out. If I ever run into a similar problem in the future, I'll be able to just go straight to your solution instead of spending hours (possibly days) thrashing around.