Takamitsu,
I forgot:
Once you've clicked on "Footnote Reference" in "Character Styles," look inside the light-blue shaded box for a white text box. That is the footnote reference. Put the cursor in there and set the character formatting preferences with the palette.
Then click on "Footnote" in "Note Styles," and in the big light-blue shaded box, find Doc Reference Style and Note reference Style, and for each select "Footnote Reference."
Do not forget to save.
HTH
Simi
Simeon Chavel
Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
The University of Chicago Divinity School
1025 E. 58th St.
Chicago, IL 60637
tel.: +1.773.702.6387
fax: +1.773.702.6048