Thanks for the reply. Typing

tell application "Terminal"
do shell script "killall 'Filemaker\ Pro'"
end tell

unfortunately still does not work. Still get "no match processed belonging to you were found."

I can do certain things in terminal, like ps -ef to display the PID. Supposedly I can get just that line with ps -ef | grep filemaker\ pro, but alas, when I do this the number displayed (the second number, which should be the PID I think) is an ever-changing number, instead of the PID that should be there. It's like some some bizarre science experiment in which the act of measuring causes different results. Actually half the time this line shows no results, which is also quite useless from a scripting POV. The Mac doesn't support pidof, I don't have the knowledge of compiling and chmoding a script. I have gotten it to work, by running ps -ef, getting the result and parsing it in AS as text, but sheesh.

I am mainly trying to make sure my Mac Mini running Filemaker reliably stays up. In the event of a crash or freeze, I want to quit the app by force, wait a period, then reload (or restart). The reason I need to do this is, there might be a dialogue box, or FM might be frozen, etc. Sadly since Apple hasn't cared about scripting in an age, UI scripting becomes very important. Hence, you need a way to check for dialog boxes, error messages etc.