Barbara,
For maximum customization of all aspects of language switching with, say, one keystroke combination, you might try iKey, which I have used since Feb 2004 and still love. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6746/ikey
Simi
Simeon Chavel
Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible
The University of Chicago Divinity School
1025 E. 58th St.
Chicago, IL 60637
tel.: +1.773.702.6387
fax: +1.773.702.6048