--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:37:56 +0100
>Subject: Re: #9553.2 Research on student learning effects of technology
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Another couple pieces of the puzzle to consider, which I think goes along with
what Dennie had to say, is that it is about motivation and preparing students
for tomorrow's world. We aren't just teaching our disciplines but we are incorporating
a world of life skills into their learning as they are learning the disciplines
we teach. With respect to motivation, we all learn more when we are motivated
to learn it. Some of us are more motivated by math while others prefer literature.
We are more likely to learn more about what we are motivated to learn. Similarly,
if our students are motivated to learn because of the opportunity to use tools
they are comfortable with using, they are more likely to learn. So, any research
that talks about student motivation is related to the question of effects of technology
for the students who prefer to learn that way. What, in my opinion, we should
be focusing on is student product. What is it that students need to show us they
can do and then let them show us in the ways that they want, which may or may
not be with technology. Having the option and seeing over time the percentage
of students who demonstrate what they know using technology vs. those that bring
in paper-based products will speak for itself.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall