On 23/01/2011, at 10:03 PM, THDW wrote:

On 22 Jan 2011, at 20:55, Geoffrey Heard wrote:

Recent you mean? Link? (Counldn't find anything recent on the BBC site.)

snipped

There's a scene in American Gangster where Russell Crowe, playing a hard nosed NY cop, starts duffing somebody up and calls his victim 'mate'. Sure that wasn't in the script.

Russell Crowe is a New Zealander, but being a rugby league person calls everyone 'mate'.
To me, a 'mate' is a person, male, with whom you are great friends and who would support you forever, but others treat the word as being just a general form of address, certainly not his victim. Very Sydney.

On the other hand, I doubt if Mr. Crowe, being a New Zealander, would appreciate being said to 'duff up' anyone.

Regards from brianF