If I may speak for the attending percussion section at that time (myself and Jesse), I think I can safely say we REALLY enjoyed "Purple Haze" as well, sans drumset even!
My parents grew up in that generation, so I (rightfully so) was cultivated throughout my own childhood with that music genre :)
Even  if we toss the piece, it was great to play it just once!

Sarah J