Okay. This one runs, and it runs extremely quickly. The file I'm
running it on is 420K and the script finishes virtually instantaneously.

However, opening the resulting file in Tex-Edit Plus gives very
different results than opening it in TextEdit. Items are correctly
italicized in TextEdit, but the paragraphs seem to be missing.

In Tex-Edit Plus, all the paragraphs are there, but the supposed-to-
be-italic words and phrases are now delimited by \i and \i0 rather
than underscores and their style is still plain.

So I tried doing a "Save As..." in TextEdit, saving as rtf, then
opened that in Tex-Edit Plus and now the italic strings are all
italicized, but the paragraphs are gone. Showing invisibles confirms,
there are no paragraphs.

RJay